Skip to main content

CRISTIANO RONALDO Ronaldo deserves Ballon d'Or over Messi, claims Cahill

logo Cristiano Ronaldo Juventus 2019
CRISTIANO RONALDO LIONEL MESSI UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE BARCELONA JUVENTUS The Australian has backed the Juventus star for more individual silverware after his bold move to Serie A Article continues below While Lionel Messi is the strong favourite to claim the next Ballon d'Or after another stunning season with Barcelona, Tim Cahill has instead backed his rival Cristiano Ronaldo for the award. Both players are currently locked on a record five Ballon d'Or titles and it is the Argentine that appears on track to pick up his sixth later this year. Messi scored 36 goals in La Liga this season as Barcelona claimed another league title and he chipped in with a further 12 strikes in the Champions League. Injuries, complaints and other set-backs - How Man City overcame many problems to record a 'perfect' season Serie A Team of the Season: Ronaldo is Juventus' only representative Who is William Saliba? The £25m 'new Thuram' wanted by Arsenal Who is Manchester United's Young Player of the Season? Though Ronaldo's numbers at Juventus have paled in comparison with the 34-year-old bagging 15 fewer league goals in Serie A, Cahill believes the fact he has been able to transition to another league so successfully deserves recognition in the form of the Ballon d'Or. "The reason why I say Ronaldo, I know people won't agree, is because of what he's done in Juventus," Cahill told Alkass Sport. "He left Real Madrid, went there and had such a massive impact on another league. I've never seen another player do it at Man United, Madrid for so many years. "And I know he didn't win the Champions League but he has such an impact in any club. If you can take players and put them somewhere at his age... "I know people won't agree, I just appreciate his professionalism." Ronaldo's Juventus teammate Medhi Benatia unsurprisingly recently agreed with Cahill, suggesting Barcelona's loss to Liverpool in the Champions League semi-finals may have hurt Messi's chances. “Ronaldo? He deserves to win the Ballon d'Or according to me,” Benatia said, per Calciomercato. "Messi? He had an incredible season. He would deserve it too but with Liverpool beating Barcelona, I think this reduced his chances." PSG star Kylian Mbappe, who has scored the second most goals in Europe this season behind Messi, has backed the Barcelona star to claim the Ballon d'Or, where he finished a distant fifth in voting last year. "The favourite is Messi," Mbappe said. “The elimination in Champions (League) does not change anything, he is the number one in everything." Both players have one more match this season, with Messi facing a Copa del Rey final on Saturday while Ronaldo and Juventus have their Serie A finale Sunday against Sampdoria.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arsenal did not offer Ramsey new deal due to 'salary balance' concerns

News Leagues & Cups Transfers Teams Tables Betting NXGN       English Back Other English editions Deutsch English Español Français Indonesia Italiano Magyar Nederlands Português Türkçe Việt Nam العربية ไทย 한국어 日本語 简体中文 繁體中文 Back Back English global Other English editions Australia Bahrain Ghana India Ireland Kenya Kuwait Malaysia Nigeria Oman Philippines Qatar Saudi Arabia inst offering Aaron Ramsey a new contract because matching his wage demands would have been "very harmful" to the squad's dynamic, head of football Raul Sanllehi says. eaglestare.blogspot.com Ramsey will join  Juventus  on a free transfer on July 1 after accepting a deal in February that, according to some reports in the UK, will see him earn as much as £400,000 per week. Sanllehi says it would have been irresponsible for Arsenal to match the "incredible" offers Ramsey r...

36,000 personaell deployed by frsc for wedding El fitr

eaglestare.blogspot.com   T he Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has commenced 2019 Eid el fitr special patrol with deployment of 36,000 of its personnel. A statement by FRSC Corps Public Education Officer, Bisi Kazeem this was in line with its tradition of organising special patrols during festive periods to avert road obstructions, crashes and deaths due to heightened traffic movement.  According to him, the special patrol was to put necessary measures in place to ensure that the 2019 Eid el fitr celebration expected to take place early next week is observed under an atmosphere of peace, safety and free movement of people and vehicles across the country. Kazeem further stated that the special operation was to ensure free flow of traffic, provide prompt rescue services and timely clearance of obstructions on all major roads and critical corridors across the country during and after the festive period as well as minimising the occurrence of road traffic crashes on the na...

Muhammad buhari pledge allegiance to get ride of terrorism in the country on this second ternor

eaglestare.blogspot.com President Muhammadu Buhari has said he would host leaders of the Lake Basin Commission to an informal security summit during his forthcoming second term inaugural ceremonies slated for June 12 in Abuja. President Buhari made this known during a bilateral meeting with the Chadian president, Idris Deby, in Makkah, Saudi Arabia, on the sidelines of the meeting of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) on Saturday. Mr Buhari said since the elections are over he would have the time to pursue the threat of terrorism with “full force”. According to him, the summit is to come up with new strategies to bring to a permanent end to the Boko Haram terrorism being faced by the countries of the Lake Chad region. Garba Shehu, the president’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, in a statement said the two presidents agreed that “the time has now come for the regional leaders to sit down to agree on how to change the unwinding nature of the war...